For those who are suffering from hammer toe, getting hammer toe treatment is important to alleviate the pain. Hammer toe is basically a condition wherein a person has claw-like toes. This happens when the growth of the toes, usually the second toe, is in a downward like position. It is usually the second joint or proximal interphalangeal joint that is affected. There are times, however, that other toes are likewise affected by the condition or similar conditions.
Causes Of Hammer Toe
Before we discuss what is the best hammer toe treatment for you to use, you should learn more about what causes hammer toe and other feet problems in the first place. Here are some of them.
- The most common reason why this particular disorder occurs is when a person wears shoes that are too tight. This can be a particular problem for those wearing heels or poorly fitted running/walking shoes.
- Another known cause of hammer toe is bunion foot where a person has a corn on his toe and a callus on his foot’s sole, thereby preventing him from walking properly.
- Genetics can also play a role in the appearance of hammer toe.
- There is also a possibility for the same to develop due to wearing of very narrow and small shoes.
Hammer Toe Treatment
The most effective treatment for hammer toe is surgery, where any deformities in the toes are corrected. During surgery, toe joints that are contracted are loosened up so the toes can stretch. On the other hand, there are patients who seek hammer toe treatment without surgery to avoid being unable to move around for a few days and also so as not to spend money.
Fortunately, there are ways to avoid surgery.
- When purchasing new shoes, make sure that your toes have a wide area to move in your shoes. Buy shoes that have a large enough gap in the toe box to give more space whilst walking.
- Crest pads for hammer toe help soothe tired feet and toes after a long day on your feet. These help support the hammer toe buy giving it a platform to sit upon.
- Splints for hammer toe help the toes to straighten up and to retain their normal form and shape. These are a highly effective way to improve the affected toe(s).
- Gel shields for hammer toe help protect the toes from corns and calluses, permitting the person to walk normally. You can purchase splints, crests and gel shields at Amazon here.
Hammer Toe Exercises
Another possible treatment to this condition are hammer toe exercises. Just like other parts of your body that you exercise to keep in tip top shape, the same thing goes with hammer toe. Here are a couple of examples that you can try out on your own.
This exercise requires you to sit on a chair. Place a towel on the floor, then place half of your affected foot on it. Make sure that your heel is resting on the floor. Using your toes, crunch the towel up. Do this exercise at least 10 to 12 times.
This hammer toe treatment requires you to sit down on the floor with your feet stretched out before you. Get a towel and wrap it under your toes then apply backward pressure on your toes using the towel. Hold the position up to 20 or 30 seconds at least.
So you see? There are different types of hammer toe treatment that are worth checking out to help alleviate the pain on your affected foot. Sticking to these treatments and using trusted foot care products can help correct any problems, but of course, prevention is highly recommended. Also, you should consider having to undergo surgery when the case is already severe. If you feel you are in the more severe stages of Hammer, claw or mallet toe then please consult your doctor or podiatrist before attempting any of these treatments yourself.